Monday, June 11, 2007

Geek Retreat: 26 hrs in Chicago @ The Nokia Flagship Store

Geek Retreat? I have a few a year. Events where I go look @ techie items w/ techie friends. My last one was Macworld in SF.
So a few months ago, Nokia posted that they were going to have a soirée for S60 users. It's the name of the o/s (the software) that many of the Nokia phones use. Having missed the one in NY, I decided to RSVP for this one taking place @ the flagship Chicago Store on Magnificent Mile.

So started the 26hrs in Chicago. As per usual, I was able to pimp a return fight to Chitown for $178 CAD return - and you know this!
But these always start as early mornin drives...

Landed.

YYZ, pls take notice: I can travel right from O'Hare to dwntwn Chitown by simple public transit aka subway. Why this cannot happen @ Pearson International is beyond me.
Had a quick brkfst, and then started my day, and what a sunny day it was....

I made my way up and down North Michigan aka The Magnificent Mile and took in some good retail. Did you know that Garmin as a flagship store in Chicago?? Nice.

I then made my way down to Wicker Park for more of my boutiques, small independents. Fer sure, made a quick stop @ St Alfreds to show love.
6pm CST quickly came, so I hopped back on the sbwy line and made it back to Mag Mile and the Nokia Store - and so the night began.

Got to meet up with ppl I met the launch day last year: Timothy, Linda and Dan aka YSR.
Also got to catch up to online rawk stars like the Mobile Diva and Deity herself:

Darla Mack
.

Our 1st meeting though we chat all the time. She's got the block on lock. Great resource for all things Nokia. Check her out here.
Thinking that I was the only Canadian there was so small minded and I do apologize. Mobile Magnate Howard Chui of HoFo aka HowardForums was in the building.
I met some wonderful ppl that night. Many of which I will certainly keep in touch with.
Best was the grab bags. I was given a Nokia Audio Wireless Gateway - I can stream audio thru this device using bluetooth capable handsets. Kind of a predecessor to Cerulean by iSkin.

Also got to look @ some new product. One of many was the thinnest S60 to date. As much as I hated it on paper, and when I caught a quick glimpse of it, the N76 is now getting more of my attention. In fact, Nokia has won me over. I will now try to get my hands on one. It's a a lot hotter than I thought.

I was just bent on the fact that I felt that it was a RAZR look alike. But Moto could never even come close to a s60 phone. As such, even with all of Moto's revisions, the N76 is going to be what the RAZR could never be: a dope phone. +, the N76 is a real smartphone/music player anyhow. It has a true headphone jack with controls @ the front as well. Nice. Peep the mirrored secondary screen...
This is why Nokia is so dope. Product line is forever the tighest and they have solid handsets. I would still add a tweak of more design, but overall. They still rawk.
In any case, I want to thank Phil S. @ the Nokia's S60 team for inviting me, and the rest of the S60 staff who were on hand. I had a blast. Phil: Let me be the Toronto Agent.
The night came to and I stepped out to peep an Adidas party on Rush st (Originals Store), and then went for a bite with my man YSR and Juanita. Good look on killing time with your boy.
Then got back on the sbwy @ 3am....




Made my way back to ORD, and then home.
26 dope hrs.
Thank gawd for eTickets... no lineup for me!

All was good.
Look for me to make the 1yr anniversary this month.Should be tight...
More photos....







what was this all about??

No comments: