Thursday, January 31, 2008

More than Guns, Gangs & Gravel



Though I extol the righteousness and nobility of accessories all day long, I find myself bereft of much (read any) bling. I've been secretly longing for my chaining day @ work, but that has yet to be announced.




But in my boyhood, I used to not only wear a ring, but also a necklace - both gifts of my mother. More recently, I have had thoughts of rekindling some of that distant past. So, should you see me with something long swinging from left to right... (a chain stupid!), and a possibly a ring? You know wassup...
So when going through NYTimes.com, I came across a young designer's jewelry and toolery. Hailing from London by way of Sri Lanka, Kali Arulpragasam's work screams of political statements. Why should it not, seeing that she and her sister songwriter M.I.A. share the same views.
Her latest collection, called “Terrorism Affects Tourism”, is a series of breastplate necklaces that hang across the chest and celebrate positive aspects of war-torn nations. Indeed there is more to these countries then guns, gangs and gravel. Images are cut and crafted by hand and plated together to create a mural in gold and silver. Supersized big up for putting Haïti in the mix.








Equally as impressive is a similarly hand crafted ring collection entitled "Endangered Species", again highlighting what she feels is a threatened segment of the planet's own wildlife.







Good Look. Her work is pretty heavy and I'll be on the look out for the multi-fingered pieces.
Maybe she can work her way towards some GhostFace sized toolery?? ;)
Nonetheless, you can find and buy her works @ SuperFertile

Anyhow, you know what time it is.

Our girl Kali Arulpragasam makes it hella nice, but our man Dilla rawks and spits that ice. Dilla Month IS upon us. Enjoy.

No comments: